Thousands of anti-coup protesters took to the streets of Khartoum and its suburbs on Saturday. The security forces tried to disperse them by throwing tear gas canisters. Five protesters were killed, according to the doctors’ union.
Five protesters were killed on Saturday, November 13th In Sudan, On a new day of mobilization against the coup. Security forces fire live ammunition and use tear gas against thousands of enemies.
Supporters of civil power, organized by SMS or graffiti for three weeks, still want to show weight. This is an East African country.
Despite calls for peace from around the world on Friday evening, doctors said five protesters had been killed and “multiple gunshot wounds” in the afternoon, indicating that the military was determined to put an end to it. It was subsequently revived after the coup.
Four protesters were shot dead and a third died of suffocation, the doctors’ association said.
Dams, blocked bridges
Early in the morning, Rapid Support Forces (RSF) soldiers and paramilitary personnel stationed themselves heavily in Khartoum and set up flyovers to prevent crowds and bridges connecting Central Khartoum with the suburbs.
Despite these obstacles, the processions, led by General Abdel Fattah al-Burhane, the author of the plot, left many neighborhoods with shouts of “No military power” and “Down with the Council” sovereignty.
In the east of the country, crowds of protesters marched through the streets, AFP reporters reported.
In the aftermath of the coup, 15 people were killed and more than 300 were injured in the crackdown on protests, according to a report drawn up by doctors before this new day’s mobilization. Trade unions and other pro-democracy groups say hundreds of protesters and activists have been arrested.
Transfer of the Sovereign Council
With his coup, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhane He knocked over the cards of a change that had been winging him for months. He plundered all the civilians in power and put an end to the sacred association between civilians and the military that closed the thirty-year-old Bechir dictatorship.
On Thursday, he took a break Sovereignty Council Resettlement and Reform, President Omar al-Bashir, who was dissolved on October 25, 2019, is the highest authority for change since he was ousted, under street pressure.
He thus renewed the army within the Church and appointed non-political citizens instead of supporters for the complete transfer of power to the public.
His second, General Mohammed Hamden Taclo, the leader of the RSF, was accused of gross misconduct and they promised “free and transparent elections” in the summer of 2023. Promises that do not appease the opposition, but are determined to back down.
During the coup, General Burhan suspended articles on the constitutional declaration that would shape the transition to elections. He reintroduced them on Thursday, but after removing all references to the Forces for Freedom and Transformation (FLC), a civilian bloc born of the 2019 popular uprising.
Call for “control”
“The unilateral appointment of the Sovereign Council makes it very difficult to return to the constitutional duties of 2019,” Volker Perth, the UN ambassador to Sudan, said.
But, preferably Saturday, adds Volker Pertus on Twitter“The security forces are showing great restraint.”
Outgoing Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdock is still under house arrest. The military has released only four ministers, despite an almost daily call from the international community to return to civilian rule before October 25.
General Burhan has been promising to form a government “immediately” for several days and has yet to succeed. Moreover, the new Sovereign Council did not put forward a united front.
Observers noted that three former rebel leaders had returned to the body and did not swear allegiance to the others. They announced their rejection of the inauguration and have not appeared since they were appointed.